Thursday 15 January 2015

knitted bathing costumes in January

Ladies vintage swimwear knitting patterns
http://www.fab40s.co.uk/Ladiesswimwear.html

God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.
 
(or knitted bathing costumes in January)!
 
Knitted bathing costumes, a ball dress turned into christening gowns, gravy painted legs and a dress fashioned from sock wool, were just some of the amazing images that sprang to peoples' minds when I visited members of the Honiton Memory CafĂ© today to talk about Making Do and Mending.
 
My sewing basket, actually a re-purposed picnic basket (and yes I did get some funny looks as I scurried down Honiton High Street on this cold and rainy January afternoon with a picnic hamper on my arm!) was full to the brim with sewing notions and samples of all kinds of stitching that I have collected from the 1930s, 40s and up to the present day. One woman likened it to a Mary Poppins bag, for it does seem bottomless, especially, I notice, when each item prompts so much recall and shared conversation. Today I didn't manage to reach the bottom of the basket, but that's a good thing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment