Friday 8 May 2015

wireless v. digital



Yesterday, myself and the curator of the Thelma Hulbert Gallery went to visit Honiton Memory CafĂ© to talk about some workshops I'm doing for them at the gallery in June. All four of the workshops will be inspired by music and sound.

I've been looking out for a 'retro' portable transistor radio for awhile - as a resource for these workshops, and for other reminiscence work I do (easier than carrying a Bakelite wireless set round with you when you travel everywhere by bus!) And so I was delighted to purchase this transistor at one of the Antique Centres in Honiton. It was very reasonably priced, and no longer working I assumed. The woman in the shop helpfully told me about a man in Exeter ( a 'trendy' chap she said) who would be able to convert the radio for me so that I could operate it using a remote control via Bluetooth. I'm not sure I could handle that. I can't tune the 'trendy' retro radio my son kindly lent me while he is sailing the ocean wave, no matter how many times I press all those tiny buttons.

This genuine article has dials and knobs to turn. It restores the 'digit' in 'digital'.

Anyway, in my reminiscence sessions on wireless listening we often talk about having memories of tuning in and listening to momentous events unfold over the airwaves. And so, late last night I casually turned the 'On/Off' dial' (see below)

 
and it talked to me!
 
pre-programmed to my news programme of choice - Radio 4,  no less!
 
 I settled to listen to the 2015 general election news on my new 'old' analogue radio. No interference. No crackling. Bliss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment