Monday 27 January 2014

The Old Sale Rooms - Residency: Day 1

 
 
 
My first day of the Rag Rug Residency and I'm buzzing with ideas for designs. The photographs I have taken of the building, and some of the decorative artefacts for sale within it, have provided more inspiration than I even hoped for. This beautiful stained glass window from the top floor, I love for the fact that each fleur-de-lis is a different shade of green. It gives the design a simple vitality, so that your eyes move from flower to flower. I didn't know that the fleur-de-lis is thought to have been based upon the iris, not the lily, and that some historians think it 's original source was the yellow flag.
 
 
 
 
Another window. This time no plant motifs in the design itself, but with tracery of tendrilled stems dancing across the glass outside:-


 
 
With Valentines Day coming up, is it a coincidence that I keep finding heart motifs carved/inlaid/fused into so many items of furniture here?!


 
 




 
 
 
Today I will be starting a rug based upon the design of the stained glass window. I've altered the shape and removed some of the detail. While I think I know how I will handle the central section (using the hooky method to render the detail and line) I'm not sure yet what I will do for the outer section of the rug. Perhaps a braided border? But I like not knowing and leaving room for the rug to grow itself. It's more interesting that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment