Tuesday 28 January 2014

Rag Rug Residency @ The Old Sale Rooms: Day 2

 
 
My second day at The Old Sale Rooms. Today I've been re-hooking some sections I haven't been satisfied with, and experimenting with neutral colours. And talking to lots of people. Visitors have come from outside Wellington (!) to see my demonstration which is most encouraging. One woman who would like to learn rag rug making is particularly interested in rug making as a way of telling her family's history; incorporating worn garments and fabrics that might trigger memories and the re-telling of family stories. Other customers shared anecdotes of rug making during their early married life. Neb, the dog belonging to the owner of The Old Sale Rooms didn't sit on my feet under the rug frame today, but joined me for lunch instead!
 

progress with rug on the frame plus rugs on the floor for display

                         
Interesting discussion in the Tea Rooms this afternoon, about handed down recipes for rice pudding (my grandmother would put a bay leaf in hers) and junket, and just how difficult it is to buy rennet and sterilised cream these days (a trip to "Trumps" of Sidmouth was recommended for the purchasing of rennet).

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment